Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dilemma

So I've been thinking about this for a long time...it's been sitting in the back of my head.

I usually buy 2-3 lbs of garlic every fall.

I walk into the Co-Op and there are two barrels of garlic:

Local Conventional

Organic (California)

Does anyone see the dilemma yet?

Welcome to New York State: a giant farm. In NYS, it is really hard to be and survive as a farmer. Lots of state regulations and shit. Taxes and stuff. Dumb shit.

Welcome to the organic movement: still not the norm as far as produce goes, but as it's popular with wealthy middle - upper class white people and indie hipsters, it's slowly becoming more prominent.

Obviously I am not describing either of these things that well, I just want to get to the point.

Is it better for me to spend $1.99/lb of garlic and buy local conventional garlic and support the local farmers and economy, or is it better to spend $5.99/lb and by organic California garlic...and support organic farmers and the whole movement...oh and the California economy which a lot of our produce purchases support.

Obviously I spend $1.99/lb because I don't have a lot of money and would rather help the local economy, but it makes one wonder, doesn't it?

1 comment: